Jesus loves the goldfish too...

So, don't tell him but we're killing them by the bucketload. Our logistician just walked through carrying the latest victim. I think the main problem is that we cleaned the fish pond (never clean ANYTHING is my general rule! Nothing good ever comes of it!) and refilled it with water from the well that was made brackish by the tsunami. Ooops! Oh, and there's also no aeration so the poor little things are up on the surface gulping oxygen like, well, like goldfish. This is all very interesting to me mostly because I have a head injury. This weekend a bunch of us went to Sabang (get a map and look it up) to snorkel and lay around on beautiful beaches. On Saturday we rented a boat to take us to a waterfall up in the dense jungle. It was pristine and beautiful and all the things that waterfalls hidden in the jungle are supposed to be but on the way back down I slipped and - to use the phrase of our Alabaman friend here - 'cacked' my head on a rock. Gash across my chin, concussion, lucky to be alive and all that. Everything would have been fine but it got all infected and with no hospital nearby I had to visit the International Red Cross with refugees. I'm telling you that you don't know how good you have it until you have to sit in a hot Red Cross trauma tent surrounded by all sorts of unmentionable injuries and Norwegian doctors trying to attend a screaming child who is dying of malaria. The child goes off to the ICU tent and the Norwegian doctors dope me up with all sorts of meds you can't get anywhere else in the world without a prescription (I knew I loved the Nords for some reason.) And I hope all of this explains why I'm sitting by the fish pond totally fascinated by the slow and untimely deaths of our little friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to violence

How to kill the Black Mamba

Top 10 things I've learned in Jordan...