Inbetween


Somehow Britain seems an appropriate place to get stuck. The entire place smacks of people on their way to someplace else. It’s foreign, but not foreign enough to be ‘abroad’. Everyone speaks English but not necessarily in such a way as to be understandable. It’s not home but not abroad either. It’s grey and cold and the sky is close and it is stuck off the continent like Ellis Island in New York. London feels to me like a train station or a layover airport. Not a bad place to be but not a final destination either.

And so here I am – for the time being – until I get a visa. I’m running out of things to do, of people to see, places to go. And I can’t get off the island, my passport is at the embassy, remember? My training and briefings are finished, I have all my shots, have finished two books, have read as much about Darfur as humanely possible. The only thing I have left is the organization’s logistic manual. A hundred-odd page document written in font Arial 4. It’s shaping up to be a fun weekend.

Comments

kate said…
I love you, Kelsey, but I am having a really hard time drumming up sympathy here. I fantasize about being "stuck" in England. How the hey do you RUN OUT OF THINGS TO DO -- in ENGLAND?!!?!
Okay. Maybe your travel budget is not large. I will grant you that.
Anonymous said…
Sorry, all good things come to an end. Just remember that we Love ya'!

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to violence

How to kill the Black Mamba

Top 10 things I've learned in Jordan...