10 hours in Dubai...

I have to take back everything that I've said about Dubai. For those of you who hadn't heard of my dislike for the place the feelings went a little something like this: "There are two things in this world that drain my will to live faster than anything else. Those are: 1) airports, 2) shopping malls." Dubai is, essentially, nothing more than a combination of those two and, therefore, one of my least favourite places on earth." Mind you it also has something to do with how it's a hot, dry, dustbowl and the airport usually looks like a morgue with bodies sprawled all over the floor sleeping through their 10 hour layovers.

Well, I gave my friend James the challenge of changing that all for me and he did an excellent job. First, I received an e-mail that contained those 9 little words that thrill me like no other: "I'm having a car meet you at the airport". Seriously, if . Next, when I disembarked from the plane there was someone standing there with my name on a placard. If you've ever wondered who those people are - the ones who get met at the plane and then whisked away to some secret room where they're rushed through passport control and custom - well, I'm happy to report, they're me. The placard-carrying-helper lady then turned me over to James' housekeeper who called the driver and we sped through Dubai in the middle of a dust storm.

Now, a little about Dubai itself. I'm not going to pretend that I"ve had some epiphany into it's beauty or secret look into it's soul. In fact, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a soul. In the same way that Las Vegas doesn't have a soul but is a testimony to what people can do when they put their minds to it. Well, their minds and a virtually unlimited amount of money. The city boasts shopping malls that would make America envious. It has an entire housing/hotel/entertainment development built on the sea that would make those who built Hong Kong's airport jealous. It has the tallest building in the world and it's not even finished yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to violence

How to kill the Black Mamba

Top 10 things I've learned in Jordan...