The mind is a tyrant: The body its slave



Perhaps you have a healthier relationship between your mind and body than I do. Perhaps as a child you were taught to listen to what your body was telling you about the rest, food, drink and activity it needed. I was in yoga the other day when the instructor told us to spread our toes. ‘Spread my toes?’ my mind thought. And in that moment I realised that I’ve got no idea how to spread my toes. My mind has no idea how to talk to my toes. And in that moment I also realised that I’ve never been kind to my body – as I count kindness. By that I mean that my mind has never treated my body like it would treat any friend or family member. If I’m being generous, my mind treats my body as a child. If I’m being honest, a slave.

Somewhere along the way I’ve learned that my mind is in charge. It makes the rules and lays them down. The body follows them.

The body says, ‘I’d like a little more rest, please.’ The mind says, ‘The alarm is set for six, suck it.’

The body says, ‘I don’t really want to go for a run first thing every morning. Can’t we go at 2pm instead?’ ‘Nah,’ the mind says. ‘That doesn’t really work for me. I scheduled a meeting for 2pm and that blog I was reading on the 100 most successful people alive says you have to exercise first thing in the morning, suck it.’

The body says, ‘I’m not really hungry right now. Can we eat later?’ The mind says, ‘Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, suck it.’

The body says, ‘I need a snack right now.’ The mind says, ‘Hmmm…I’m busy. What’s easy? Here’s some crisps. You like crisps don’t you?’

The body says, ‘I need some protein right now. Can I have two eggs instead of one?’ The mind says, ‘Suck it. You’re on the 5:2 diet this week. Be glad you get one.’

The body says, ‘I kinda have to go to the bathroom.’ The mind says, ‘You don’t have to go that bad. Wait until you’ve finished this paragraph and then you can go.’

You get my drift.

Day in and out our bodies work incredibly well. They get us from place to place. They keep blood going to our brains. They serve the tyrant. They protect the tyrant. They keep multitudes of viruses and bacteria at bay and then, when one is stronger than our immune system or when our body gets fooled by one we berate it, ‘my body’s really let me down on this one!’

With our minds we read that the average woman our age is able to run a mile a bit faster than we can and we berate our body, ‘Why can’t you do that? Why can’t you be more like her? I’m going to make you.’ ‘Please,’ the body begs. ‘I just wasn’t made to run. I like swimming’. ‘Too bad,’ the mind says. ‘All of my friends are running. You’re going to be a runner. You’ll like it eventually.’

So many of our illnesses result from a breakdown in a good working connection between the body and mind. The mind feels emotional pain so it douses the body with alcohol to numb it. The body complains. ‘Buck up body’ the mind says. ‘Here’s some more water and paracetamol to keep you quiet.’ Eating disorders are the mind at its most tyrannical. The mind turning on the body in the most damaging manner.

Have you ever wondered why on holiday we suddenly feel adrift? Eating too much of whatever is put in front of us? Not moving enough? Drinking too much? It’s because for years our minds have ruled our bodies telling them what to eat, drink, when and how much exercise. We don’t have to listen to our bodies. The body is used to doing what the mind says. And when the mind gets a holiday? Doesn’t make the schedule? We’re like orphaned children. Are you actually hungry? Who knows? 

Your body sure doesn’t. Your body has spent so many years being told exactly what it will eat and when that once the mind shuts up we are lost on how to live. In the face of a Christmas buffet and the absence of the tyrannical voice dictating our every move our body says, ‘For god’s sake just eat something to be warm and comfortable until we figure out what the hell is going on. Have a drink while you’re at it. And maybe sit down and wait for awhile – the mind will come back. The mind will tell us what to do eventually.’ Normally, around January 2nd the mind does come back with a whole list of new ways it’s going to tell the body to be and do this year. And our bodies are actually happy about this arrangement. Like its a hostage with the most profound case of Stockholm Syndrome. 

Why we have developed this profound distrust of our bodies is an intriguing question. The mind’s first and foremost preoccupation should be with protecting the body,  listening to it, making sure it’s balanced and getting what it needs because without it it’s lost. But, instead of having a conversation with the body we look outwards to what other people are doing, saying, thinking, achieving. How they treat their bodies and we think, ‘gosh, that seems good to me.’

We know ourselves to be absolute individuals distinct and unique from every other person on the planet but then seek advice and emulate people with whom we likely have little in common either genetically, culturally or experientially. It’s quite an insane way to live.

And yet…it's January 3rd and time to go for a run. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to violence

How to kill the Black Mamba

Top 10 things I've learned in Jordan...