Well put...

Dr. Jill John Kall is one of my best friends here, and a generally amazing woman. She is the medical coordinator for IMC and recently wrote an article about Darfur. Here is a tidbit:

"Hope is defined as a feeling that events will turn out for the best. I sometimes wonder if hope will ever return to Darfur. I caught a glimpse of it last year from about February to May 2006. Of course, once the Darfur Peace Agreement was signed, it ironically seemed to signal the end of hope. Since then, the security situation in Darfur has worsened steadily and shows no signs of improving…

Since my return to Darfur in early January, the one question on the minds of every NGO and UN agency is “What is our threshold?” At what point do we say enough is enough and pull out?...Today, I visited Al Salaam camp… It was then that I realized why we aid workers stay on: we continue because the conflict continues, we continue because we cannot turn a blind eye to the escalating violence, we continue to give a voice to those who have none, we continue because even on the worst of days, we need to believe that it can get better, and we continue because of the slightest glimmer of hope in our patients eyes. We continue because there is no one else."

Comments

yuenkay said…
Hello, I just found your blog by random. I'm in SF, but my heart goes to you so far away. There are many in the bay area who wish what little they could do here, are helping you and your friends in Darfur.
Maybe, I can keep you company by reading your blog everyday. I hope that can bring a little smile to you today.
Anonymous said…
Hey... Jill is my friend too. She was my senior at med school in India - quite an able person, considering the work that she doing now. Say hi to her for me.

- Dr Ramnan (Ron) Jeyasingam, Malaysia

Popular posts from this blog

An introduction to violence

How to kill the Black Mamba

Top 10 things I've learned in Jordan...